Friday, May 15, 2009

"Knock Knock" by Daniel Beaty

My brother sent the following video to me. It was of Daniel Beaty’s slam poetry “Knock Knock”, a thought provoking discourse of the effects on this man, when as a young boy his father’s choices denied him of the love and guidance he needed. After viewing it I was in awe. View the video and see if you concur:



What struck me was not only what Daniel said, but what he did not say. What Daniel said to me was:
  • A father’s love and guidance is needed in a son’s life
  • The son is a product of his father but not a product of his father’s choices
  • Take responsibility – for your choices, not your father’s choices
  • All people, all races, have value, worth and contribute to society
  • Be self reliant, learn for yourself
  • Freedom, it’s an “individual” choice

What he did not say was:
  • He was entitled to anything
  • Government programs were his “empowerment” to overcome his situation
  • Blame anyone or anything for his situation

On his website (http://www.danielbeaty.com/), Daniel says,"I have been interested in what it means to be free, how we can be more free, and what are obstacles to our freedom." He defines freedom as the ability to lead a joyful and peaceful life.

Contrasting this message from the "street" with the message from "D.C.", I have great hope. It shows me that the values being shouted by this poet and my conservative values shouted here are nearly, if not completely identical.

So thank you Daniel Beaty. I agree with you when you say, “We can change this world, one little boy and one little girl at a time.”

From the Right Side of Mid-America,

JWT

1 comment: